Thursday, February 24, 2011

Miracle On Grass

Thirty one years ago this week the US hockey team defeated the Russians in the 1980 Olympics at Lake Placid in what became known as The Miracle On Ice. Many argue that it was the greatest upset in sport's history. This past Friday, TFF witnessed perhaps an upset of such historic proportions that it could rival the US hockey team's win. In case you forgot that team K/M was having some internal strife, please refer to the last post. In the absence of LT as K,M, S*, and Ron drove to Falcon Ridge last Friday, Karl negotiated a partnership with Sam* in the backseat of The LTmobile. Karl later stated that it was the first time he had made a move in the backseat of a car in over 38 years. R and M quickly agreed to the guaranteed victory and the match was on. Sam's* history of team play in TFF matches is well documented and costly to any golfer willing to take him on as a partner. However, from the start, team K/S* dominated. After the match, Sam* had this to say: "This was my first time to ever partner with Karl. From my first drive to the final putt, I felt a sense of comfort and peace that I had never experienced on a golf course before. To know that Karl was behind me on every shot is indescribable. My only hope is that Karl will drop Mike and we can become a permanent team. In fact, I'll offer Karl right now to become my PFL(Partner For Life). After playing with Karl I can't understand how he and Mike ever lose." The first player rankings for 2011 came out this week and the obvious leader after captaining Sam* to his first team victory in TFF history was Karl. TFF caught up to the front runner for the 2011 Provisional Mulligan Cup Trophy and Karl had this to say;" I love a challenge and taking Sam* on as a partner looked like an impossible victory. Many experts said it couldn't be done. They also said that the human body could never run a sub 4 minute mile, but on May 6th 1954 Rodger Bannister did it. That's how I want to be remembered, as the Rodger Bannister of golf. In the future someone else may win with Sam* but I'll always be the first. I would like to thank Sam* for giving me this opportunity to make history. Besides, some of the credit should go to Sam, he made some occasional contributions to the team." Karl was perhaps referring to Sam's* 4 birdies and 33 on the front( he went on to shoot a 73 with 5 birdies). In other action, K lost to M and R in individual matches(R parred the difficult #18 to secure the victory by 1). Ron lost to Mike and seemed somewhat confused for most of the day about whether to give Mike putts or not. The latest rumor to be reported to TFF is that K is claiming to have a knee injury but most are speculating that it's a ploy to buy some time to negotiate a partnership with Sam*.

Scores-Birdies
S*-33/40-73-5
M-40/38-78-1
R-43/46-89-0
K-44/47-91-1

2011 Player Rankings
1. K
2. S*
3.R
4.LT
5.M

2 comments:

  1. Alot sure changed since my Florida trip. I am not sure if Mike and Karl w/a K are divorcing or that Mike is moving in on my PFL Ron. Sorry to hear that Karl has a knee injury. Wonder if Mike had anything to do with it. Looking forward to Friday's match with Sam and Mike. 2 strokes a hole should be fair...LT

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karl, Hope everything goes well Friday with the knee. Maybe during the time off you will forget all your bad habits and maybe not. I figure Mike will be easy pickens the next sveral weeks till the drugs wear off from the airplane flight. My PFL plans on winning every match this year- I agree. Ron

    ReplyDelete